Excerpt from Intelligent Triangle diaries: Nikhil Aditya Rao
Generating Idea or Idea's can be expensive or not so expensive. The passivity depends up on the Leisure timelines, durations or Focussed group Learnings. It ceases to be less expensive during silence and needs to be generated quickly during group discussions.Before an Idea can be generated, there has to past learnings. Research that needs to be done etc. A person needs to know more on a subject, that he knows he is good at / proficient in. The Proficiency of the subject leads to many ideating symptoms.
Now, isn't that Improvements. Ideas can be Improvements or it can be an start of a new journey waiting to be Appreciated and Improved.
Alternatives, are massive improvements that has the potential to change the strategy of the product or how the product / service works.
The first two tend us to explore but what can be more appreciated is the tendency to Discover.
For all three, Improvements, Alternatives and Discoverable-s/Inventors - Product / Service knowledge is required. There arises the need for an Feasibility analysis discussed in further sessions.
How Do I/We in groups generate Idea ? When do i get the "Eureka / AHA" Factor. All it starts with "I want to" and ends with "How Do I" and almost 99.9% of the ideas get in to Back burner or waiting for others to be implemented as a Future case.
1) Pre-requisite : Determine Subject < Focus on Improvements and/or Alternatives and/or Discoveries )
The Subject can be a part of the Product / Service waiting for an Discovery / Alternative / Improvement. The need for an Subject can be because of Competition/ Customer Dissatisfaction / Strategy Planning / Knowledge Circles / Requirements/ covert planning etc.
2) Convert the Subject to Problem
3) Problem Solving Techniques: Apply Problem Solving Techniques
- Five Why's
- TRIZ (theory which are derived from tools such as ARIZ or TRIZ contradiction matrix)
- Creative Problem Solving Process (CPS) (complex strategy, also known as Osborn-Parnes-process)
- Lateral thinking process, of Edward de Bono
- Six Thinking Hats, of Edward de Bono
- Method Herrmann - right brain / left brain
- Brainstorming and Brainwriting
- Think outside the box
- Business war games, for the resolution of competitive problems
- SWOT analysis
- The method SVTI or USIT of convergent creativity
- Thought experiment
4) Idea Evaluation Techniques: Evaluate Ideas, Verify feasibility, priortize and classify the Corrective Actions as Discovery / Alternative / Improvement .
Each of these Analysis have specific objectives. The Output of the Evaluation technique is to understand the feasibility and develop RAW / organized Portfolio.
- ABC analysis
- AHP approach
- Anonymous voting
- A-T-A-R model
- Checklists for idea evaluation
- Scoring the suitability of business idea
- Evaluating an idea for a business or product
- Evaluating new product idea
- Consensus mapping
- Cost-benefit analysis
- Decision trees
- Delphi technique
- Evaluation matrix
- FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
- Force field analysis
- Grid analysis
- Idea advocate
- Impact analysis
- Kano model
- Kepner Tregoe matrix
- NAF – Novelty, Attractiveness, Feasibility study
- Nominal group technique
- Paired comparison analysis
- Pareto analysis
- PMI analysis Module: Idea Evaluation
5) Idea Approval :
3 Phased approval system. Get your Approval (?Are you confident ?) + Tell a confidante and watch his expressions + Post it to Investor and get it Approved (Ecroaker.com bridges this gap) . To have an Investor funding your Idea / get in touch with you, Get your Business cases Ready and your stamp over it. Keep your privacy.
Market Space Analysis is the next Technique to follow